Saturday, April 2, 2011

SICK of This!!

The following is posted on my website; Words of Wisdom - I got an email from a friend recently who said something so simple and profound, "pole vaulting is about having a good place to jump, feeling good when you jump, and working hard and continuous enough without getting hurt, that you can continue to experience periodic breakthroughs". Along those same lines, my orthopedic surgeon told me that training at the elite level is like walking on a balance beam - if you fall off one side you get hurt, and if you fall off the other you're not progressing. The older you get, the more narrow that beam becomes. At dinner after Drake Toby Stevenson said, "Yeah, and it's a longer fall and climb back up too!" On the 5th easy 100m stride today my leg flared up. Not the hamstring but the weird little inside muscle thing I spoke of after my last session. I barely finished #6 and stopped, well short of halfway through my workout. DAMMIT!!! I'm so sick of this crap!!! I don't get injured I get dinged. Injuries are 6-8 weeks and dings are 2-4 weeks. The hamstring is perfect and now I have this little annoyance. I've had it before and it's a really small inconsequential thing but it means four more weeks of conditioning type training. I'm OK with that as it will only make me better but consider this; I took out my 13' 1"/4m poles this morning to jump for fun and I couldn't even finish my warm up. As I also mentioned in my "things happen for a reason" post after my last running session, my body is not used to this new speed I have. This will give me another month to make sure it gets used to it. But for today I am furious beyond words. I know that it happened to keep me from hurting myself vaulting, and I know it's a super minor ding, but &*$@#^@*%*%!!!!!!!!!!!! I had knee surgeries at 12, 14 and 17 from football. During that time I met a great physical therapist, now deceased, Logan Wood. This guy worked my butt off and told me that my goal was to come back super conditioned and to be a much better athlete than when I went in to him. He never failed me and I have to remember that message as I get back to work. But DAMMIT!!!!! Tanks for being here. Bubba

No comments:

Post a Comment