Sunday, June 5, 2011

BOOM!! Two Take Offs 30 Years Apart

San Marcos River Vault 2008 - BOOM!!
Southwest Texas State 1978 - BOOM!!
Another good workout today in the gym.  Had breakfast with my dad first so I felt a little sluggish at the start but settled in nicely.  Final two weeks has begun as far as perfecting the lead up game plan to NSG.  BTW - STILL don't know what time we jump but everyone in the world is bugging them daily.  You've got 12,000 athletes in 18 sports coming to town and they don't know when they compete?  NOT happy and they are lighting up message boards, email and phones!  C'MON MAN!!  Entries closed two months ago!!

I entered national outdoors in Cleveland yesterday and thought there was a mistake as the fee was $60 when it is usually $30.  I got an answer back that it was for drug testing.  My response?  We were only charged $6.25 each for drug testing at the world championships so why should nationals cost $30?

Speaking of which, I have not heard back from Italy on my Therapeutic Use Exemption (TUE).  If you can't get one with testosterone under 20 when the average for my age is 552 then the system is beyond screwed up.  That said I don't expect it to be approved.  WADA hasn't moved past the fact that we are not elite athletes and most of us are on some kind of physician prescribed medication that could trigger a positive test for something; anything.  In my case if I used a drug to get me off the bottom so I'm at least not always hurt, then I could test positive even though my level is below that of an 8 year old. Why?  Because it detects a "foreign" substance.  If they just checked for levels they would tell me to see a doctor because I'm too low.  Again, I'm not optimistic of approval.

My main physician is on the warpath and says we should just go forward and fight it as a PR battle against the system.  Not a bad idea (not a good idea either) as I really don't plan on jumping in anything real big until, 2013 Worlds in Brazil right after I turn 60.  If I lost an appeal my two years would be up before that meet.  If I won it would create a new set of rules for senior athletes based on levels only.  For example, some blood pressure and cholesterol medications will trigger a positve test.  It's just stupid to test fossils like 20 year olds.  But we're getting ahead of ourselves.  Testosterone was meant for the elderly with low levels and I am the lowest he has ever measured by over 200 points.  I guess I'm a special sort of weakling.  Right now I just pretend it's a no and continue on with my business.

Today's driving force song that powered me through the SUCKING part of my work out was "Boom" by POD (Payable on Death), a great hard rocking Christian band.  When I hit the box on my take off the only think I think is BOOM!!  BIG explosion of force in that one split second.  It's also the voice in my head screaming at the workout that is trying to take me down, "Is that all you've got?  I'll take your best shot.  BOOM, here comes the voice from the south".  Gotta be defiant baby!!  Go big or go home!! Note to self - going big starts at home, when you want to quit, BAD, and you don't.  I have no talent compared to the really good vaulters, but I do have that defiance.  Or maybe I'm just stubborn ... or stupid.  Enjoy, and thanks for being here.  Bubba
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhJfdWxpI2Q

No comments:

Post a Comment