Sunday, June 26, 2011

Under Pressure?

This time of year you are close to your goal but not close enough to back off of your training.  That said, you're not going to get stronger and/or faster in two weeks but you can sharpen and refine your skills.  Do too much and risk injury and feeling flat, or do too little and risk losing fitness and feeling flat.  It's a fine balance.
The smartest thing I did this past week was to run 10 X 50m sled/hills easy on Tuesday after NSG on Monday.  SUCKED but it was the best thing to do.  First I wanted to know if I was hurt, and secondarily I didn't want to lose fitness by missing an entire week of workouts while I was out of town on business.  I also did six easy 30m hills on Thursday before my meetings in Denver.  Yesterday I hit my 10 X hill/sleds on schedule.

Since I dropped my cardio I went out today and did all of my sprint drills and pole/plant/take off drills, all with a sled.  I had never done that before and it felt good.  Long story short, previous to this I ran a hill/sled then dropped the sled and put on ankle weights for a sprint drill, then rotated back to the sled and so on.  I felt at NSG that as quick as my legs felt that I should be covering more ground, hence the sled on all drills today.  I can tell you that it feels VERY weird to leave the ground to do a slide box take off drill into a 60 lb. REAL box and suddenly feel the sled puling you back down and back away from where you are trying to drive through.  LOVED it!  Just what I need to create an impulse of speed and power THROUGH the box.

Where yesterday I did all of the running, and today I did all of the sprint drills with the sled, next rotation I will add the heavy pole.  I think this will be a good refinement plan as I move toward the big meet in Sacramento.

The poles leave Friday and we leave two weeks from tomorrow and compete two weeks from Wednesday.  SO, under pressure?  Not today but I'll let you know as I progress. Here is Queen and "Under Pressure".  Have a great day!  Bubba
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtrEN-YKLBM

No comments:

Post a Comment