Monday, June 13, 2011

Destination Unknown

Had another very good running hill/sled day and promptly canceled my follow up appointment with Dr. Rand for a second cortisone injection.  On day one after my shot it was much better but I could tell a flare was still under the surface.  Ran harder on Friday and it felt better.  Ran less but still harder today and felt next to nothing so I think I'm good now.

My friend Kirk Bentz sent me a message via Facebook and polevaultpower.com that he's coming to Houston for Monday.  His son gets married in San Francisco on the Saturday before so I was a little surprised he's coming but all the better.  I'm sure it's because he has the meet record (12' 6 3/4" - 3.83m) and doesn't want it to go down uncontested.  We both jumped 13' in Albuquerque on our 1st attempts but he beat me on a miss at a previous height.

I hope to do well and expect to do well but the reality is that I really need to focus on clean technique so I don't have another crappy day like Coppell a few weeks ago.  Bugs me when I can't find my jump so I'll really have to pay attention.  Hence the title of today's post, "Destination Unknown".

Two new poles arrived at my house today for Phil Raschker, the greatest masters athlete of all time.  Bruce Caldwell, who makes my poles, made her some special poles for NSG and Worlds.  She goes to world championships and wins 10 golds and has been doing that forever.  That said, she is the friendliest and most supportive friend you could hope for.  When I was in Sydney for World Masters Games I think she had three events that day yet still came over to hang out and watch me jump.  Great lady. 

Tomorrow is my last garage lift/bars day.  Should be pretty easy and fun.  Lots of stretching too of course.  Wednesday is off as my business travel day and then Thursday I have one more running session and that is it.  I'm excited but nervous as one week from right now NSG will be in the books.  Shockingly I am in week #55 of this master plan.  How it works we will soon learn together.  Destination unknown.

Thanks for being here and supporting me.  Today's music is by an old 80s group, Missing Persons.  They had a hit song, "Destination Unknown", but this is my favorite and is also applicable to my situation.  I leave you with "Mental Hopscotch". Bubba

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m17rt_xo9x0
PS - The lead singer was a Playboy model and her husband, the drummer, was Frank Zappa's drummer.  Terry and Dale Bozzio.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment