Friday, June 3, 2011

The Great Divide - Alone Again

I've always told my elite athletes that it's lonely at the top.  You are the first ones to begin to practice, and since you are championship material, your most significant meets come when others are done for the year.  When I was in my garage last October thinking about Sacramento in the summer, it seemed so far away but gave me great purpose.  It feels different now that I'm closer; but I'm still alone.

I prefer to train a lone.  It makes me mentally stronger. The good news is that you are alone in your thoughts.  And the bad news is that you are alone in your thoughts.  The grind in 100+ degrees is very real and your will can vary.  That said, I get more out of making myself do the work then being accountable to someone else just to make sure I show up.

Today BCC's "Great Divide" got me through with some deep and honest thoughts about my training and my life. Enjoy!  Bubba

PS - I like this video because you get a glimpse at the process.  As an athlete most people only see us at competitions.  Especially me since I train alone.  But there is so much more that goes into that performance.  And because you're only as good as your last one, I need more focus.

NSG Entrants
Kirk Michael Bentz CALIFORNIA 55-59 Male Pole Vault
Charlie C Bing TEXAS 55-59 Male Pole Vault
ROBERT W CRITES TEXAS 55-59 Male Pole Vault
DONALD W CURRY TEXAS 55-59 Male Pole Vault
Michael Lewis Sayers NEW YORK 55-59 Male Pole Vault
Gary Lee Scheffe TEXAS 55-59 Male Pole Vault
Gerrod Smith NEW YORK 55-59 Male Pole Vault
Mike E Soule MINNESOTA 55-59 Male Pole Vault
DOUGLAS SPARKS TEXAS 55-59 Male Pole Vault
SCOTT M WEBSTER TENNESSEE 55-59 Male Pole Vault

No comments:

Post a Comment