Saturday, June 4, 2011

SPEECHLESS!! It Will Pass!

For today's plan I wrestled with all types of running scenarios to see how my knee and lower leg did after my injection from my sportsmed superhero, Scott Rand, MD - http://www.methodisthealth.com/mcos.cfm?id=40171.  Do I do a regular warm up, spint drills/pole drills, 100ms + 50ms or just 50ms?  The only thing given was 50m sled/hills so I decided to stick to simplicity and do that.  I felt nothing on #s1 and 2 but that's normal.  On Monday I felt it on #3 and by #6 I was fighting to keep the flare low enough that I could finish.  Today #s 7-9 were run at 90-95% with absolutely zero pain.  In fact, I was able to run so loose and free that I feared I may injure a groin or a hamstring.  It was by far the best running workout I have had since before I left for Albuquerque at the first of March. I was emotional yet speechless when I realized how dead on Dr. Rand was in his diagnosis and treatment and that I would in fact be healthy for the National Senior Games.

Scott Rand, MD
As a pole vaulter we get the strangest injuries and dings.  I mean WEIRD little things and every single time without fail Dr. Rand has immediately and correctly identified the issue and told me exactly what the process was to get back on the field.  An athlete himself, he understands our need to quickly and safely return to action.  Of course this particular issue is of supreme importance to me because of the timing and how quickly I was debilitated.  But another time he had a hunch and did a blood test and found I was anemic.  Fearing internal bleeding (cancer) I was quickly in for a colonoscopy and upper GI where it was found that acid reflux was in fact causing ongoing light bleeding.  I wasn't in for that but he just had a feeling there was more than meets the eye.  Of course I will thank him in person but I wanted to salute him here today.  More than 70% of our game is staying on the field and without my PCP, Dr. Butch Martin and Dr. Rand, I would be lost.  Thank you sirs!!  Bubba

Right when I was wrapping up today Van Halen's "Dreams" came on my MP3 and reminded me why I was out there in the first place.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZLKtjATZt0

No comments:

Post a Comment