Friday, June 10, 2011

Walk The Line!!

This is a simple question I ask myself every day.  Since I train almost every day it doesn't have to be a lot, but I need to know I'm making progress.  Today I did.  I could do all of my running and sprint drills at yet another level up with no flare to me knee.  Last time I had a flare and this time I did not, yet the entire exertion level was up.  Good sign.  I have running days of Monday and Thursday left and there is nothing I would like better than to cancel my appointment with Dr. Rand on Thursday.  As of now I fully expect to cancel but I'll let it play out.

I have such a wide variety of music on my MP3 and since it's on "shuffle", I can go from Metallica, to Johnny Cash, to the song from the Wizard of Oz, "If I Only Had a Brain".  I like the simplicity of the guitar line for Johnny Cash's, "I Walk the Line", plus that competely describes my present situation.  I want to continue to make progress yet not overtrain or risk injury.  I think right now I'm exactly where I need to be for NSG.  Now if I can only vault technically correct.  I will walk the line.

At Coppell three weeks ago I was very dissappointed in my ability to refine the timing of my jump.  I'm getting in easy on one jump and not on the next.  My gut feeling says this was mainly because I was trying to be careful with me knee.  I have done enough big pole drills that I don't feel it's a timing issue. I''m also strong enough to quickly overcome almost any missed position to make a low bar.

Our event often comes down to the word , "Just". I used to say, "If I could just get on this pole I can clear 12' (3.66m) on as regular basis.  Then it was, "I just made 12' and Coppell and I'm pissed".  Now it is, "I know I'm going to be healty and will feel good so if I can just hit my positions on the pole."  I like the last one the best.  IF I take 2-3 more jumps from 4 steps and 1-2 from six steps I'll be dialed in for the day.  So that's the plan.

Thanks so much for being here.  I'm ready and excited yet still have 9 days to wait.  HARD training on Sunday and Monday and then it's a quick ramp down.  Of course I'll let you know when we finally get a start itme.  Unbelievable there is no schedule yet.  Have a great day!  Bubba

Johnny Cash's, "Walk the Line" has had over 13 million YouTube views.  Amazing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7K4jH7NqUw

No comments:

Post a Comment