Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Another Day of Uncertainty

I'm used to it now. Until about 5 AM this morning I was down to about 20% of the pain and mobility I felt yesterday. If I said that right; it means I'm 80% better. Then I went back to sleep for an hour laying on the left side and woke up with a pretty big nerve flare from the stretched right glute. As the early morning went on, I raged all the way back up to only about a 20% improvement over yesterday. At 12:30 I've settled into about 50% improvement and will certainly take that.

I cancelled my travel day because sitting in the car for several hours probably would not help a situation that's trying to improve. My partners were understanding which is nice.

I'm going to start refining "next year's" training here pretty soon. Ashley wants me to start with her stuff first which is fine. I'm in no hurry. My buddy Dan West (World Champs Bronze Medal) sent me some of his lifting stuff which I'm dying to incorporate. He and I train similar components but he is a master at lifting so I'm hoping to glean some more of his success secrets.

I ordered some thin practice bars from Earl Bell today. I learned to go up the pole by doing this drill - http://www.bubbapv.com/Pages/drill.htm and by jumping a lot beginning on small poles. I don't care if I make the bar or not, but if I get hip height twice I move the bar up. Get hip height there and move on again. Slowly you move through poles and heights until you learn what REALLY going and staying vertical is. When I did this in college we had those metal bars so you would try to extend your left leg just far enough to get to your hips so you weren't adding to the bruising and bleeding around then shins and knee. Looking forward to it.

I talked to Paul Babbits a few years ago in Reno at breakfast and he was telling me how he started at four lefts (8 steps) in flats and just jumped for fun. By the time his run had gotten back to 12-14 steps he had blown through all of his poles. I did this the year I had my breakthrough in 2008 and it really works. Now I will just do it by always trying bars that are just out of reach.

That's it for today. Hope you have a great one! Bubba

No comments:

Post a Comment