Thursday, April 8, 2010

Getting Back to Near Normal

This is one of the actual Olympic Bobsleds that was in the lobby of the Four Seasons Hotel at Whistler. Just got the photo off the camera as I had forgotten it.

Good Day Vaulting
My 4m/1380/14.7 felt pretty small from my 33' (10m) run but I easily made 12' (3.66m) on it twice. I moved up to the 14.3 and it was too small. I find that when I finesse a small pole I don't get in far quite far enough but when I slam a bigger pole it suddenly becomes too small. I need to just blow the first one away and then worry about the next one.

The very same thing happened when I moved back to my 44' (13m) run and went to my smallest 4.30m pole, the 1469/17.5. Made 12' by a mile and then 12' 6" (3.81m) twice. Moved up to the 17.2 and it was too small. Same dang thing I did on the 4m pole. I need to just hit my arms from the start. I didn't bring any bigger poles out and already had nine jumps so I figured that was a good place to stop. Actually I had to go in and get the 4.30m poles after only four jumps on the 4m ones. Pretty big positive surprise as I hoped to get this far next Thursday. I guess I don't have a groin strain.

I did 5 X hill/sled as my warm up and three more after I jumped. Did all bars and then hit the gym for heavier lifting. I'll try and jump again at a lower level on the smaller 4m poles on Sunday and cycle back to the bigger ones next Thursday with the goal to get good jumps at 13' (3.97m) or higher. I don't use my meet poles in practice so things have to go pretty good to make that happen but who knows. I'm guessing that sometime before the Quintana Beach Vault on June 19, that I will be on some pretty big poles in practice because my running and lifting has made my run more powerful without much effort. You know how it is; stay after it and keep grinding.

Thanks for your support and have a great day. Bubba

No comments:

Post a Comment