Wednesday, April 14, 2010

I'm Out For Awhile

I saw Ashley yesterday and Dr. Clouthier today and both say that I have a deep glute strain that is putting off a significant amount of heat and flaring a nerve root under the muscle. Basically I should take two weeks off but since I'm going to Hawaii in two weeks, I guess that means three weeks. Normally this would be of great distress to me but I'll take it as a phase break. I'll skip the Brazos Valley Senior Games and still be back for my other meets. Training has been going great and I'm in very good shape so I'll heal and rest and bury myself in work.

The pain I feel is not technically sciatic but is very painful so I'm more motivated to rid myself of the pain then I am to get training again. Today he hit me with e-stim, laser, acupuncture and myofascial release and I felt much better when I left.

It's hard to explain but if I called it a season right now without jumping in any outdoor meets I would be fine with it. I had a VERY long year last year by training through for World Masters Games in October, and then came out with three indoor PRs and got 2nd at National Indoors. I'm not physically or mentally burned out but I am ready to change the direction of my training for next year. The biggest thing I don't like is my rush back to big poles just because I have a meet coming up. What I really want to do is go back down and spend a couple of months on tiny poles trying to maximize my efficiency. We'll see how this all plays out but I am eerily OK with where I am and today's plan. It wouldn't be my choice but I can't allow myself to self sabotage the big picture because I am impatient with the hand I have been dealt.

Probably doesn't make much sense but thanks for hanging in there with me. I'll keep reporting because there are things I can do; just not run or vault. Have a great day! Bubba

PS - I am definitely not going to Sacramento for Nationals.

No comments:

Post a Comment