Tuesday, February 22, 2011

The Plan

A lot is going to happen as I approach the national indoor meet in 11 days but very little will have to do with vaulting. The big workouts and plan are done so I just have to show up and pay attention to detail and execute. As mentioned before, I stack up a lot of work stuff before these meets to keep me from dwelling on every detail. That way when it's time to jump my mind has been elsewhere for awhile. I'm out of town Wednesday as usual but this week I'm also out on Thursday and Friday though I will still get my training in as I will be home part of all three days.

The Plan - It's going to take at least 13' 9 1/2" (4.20m) or 14' 1 1/4" (4.30m) to win nationals. Both heights will be American Records so obviously I have not jumped that high. Charlie Brown and Gary Hunter are new to the age group and they did jump that high last year. So how do I hope to compete, or even get a medal? Kirk Bentz IS the American record holder and he is jumping too so right now it looks like I'm the 4th best vaulter so getting a medal would be a victory of sorts.

I'm going to have to be on my biggest two poles with the uprights between 28 - 32". That simple. I've done a ton of running, bars and strength stuff in order to try and get a little more pole speed. I'll grip up 2" per pole and we're thinking of being up one pole bigger per height than usual so I HAVE to do a few things right to be able to complete the jump. For some reason that works well for me. I think recently I have finessed the early heights and then when I have to hit a big pole I don't quite have the timing. I will still start on my smallest pole for warm up but will get off of it after 1-2 jumps.

The bottom line is that in need pole speed on a big pole. The pole MUST get well past vertical in order to convert forward energy upward. Like the maximum speed of a thrown ball is in front of your head and not over it, I have to get a big pole past vertical. The pole I jumped 13' 5 1/4" (4.10m) on in Reno needs to feel small. If it does I may be in business because I have one more bigger pole that I couldn't quite move there. So that's the plan and I hope for the best.

Thanks so much for being here. More soon. Bubba

No comments:

Post a Comment