Monday, February 21, 2011

The Taper Begins

Well as of Thursday the really hard days are behind me and now comes the gradual to rapid drop off in activity, depending on the training component. I'll stay focused but it's really harder as I have said before. When you're used to having to get geared up to "survive" a practice", and now they are all "easy", you tend to get sloppy and lethargic. Obviously I can't let that happen so I'll try to focus on clean reps and LOTS of disciplined stretching.

It's so easy at this point to start skipping things because they seem minimal but you just can't. Not only do you lose your physical edge but you lose the mental edge and with that some confidence because you felt like you cheated near the end.

I've got my regular rotation through Wednesday and then Thursday I am out of town for the night on business. I'll skip Friday's upper lift rotation and then do my normal pre big meet strength test for upper on Monday. Saturday is our big high school invitational so I'll have to get out there for my running very early, unless it rains, then I'll be alone. I'm used to that as I almost always train alone.

That's it from here. Less than two weeks now to nationals so time to start visualizing a game plan. Kris and I are in agreement on poles, runs and heights so that part is a go. Now I just need to come in focused and ready to execute. I'm very capable of that but you still have to make it happen when the time comes.

Thanks for being here and for all of your support. This is that "lonely" time when you're left with a ton of thoughts because the hard work is done, or "the hay is in the barn" as Kris says. Thanks again! Bubba

No comments:

Post a Comment