Sunday, March 11, 2012

Disappointed - Or Not!?

Please click to enlarge

Today I jumped at the California Senior Games.  I could not have enjoyed the experience more because I got to hang out with, and jump with a fantastic group of guys.  I also couldn't have vaulted worse or been more surprised at my health.

During last night's jog/stretch/stride I felt great!  This morning as I warmed up, I was cautious because I was certain of one thing, that my knee would flare because I did not get it shot.  SHOCK - it did not, and as a result my poles were WAY too tiny to be effective.  I will not ever take my 14' 1" (4.30m) poles to a meet again as they are useless.

Clearly my training and running are working because with little effort these poles just flat didn't work.  By the time I figured it out, and was sure I wouldn't hurt my knee, I was out of jumps.  Long story short, I got 2nd with a jump on 3.45m (11' 3 3/4").  When a 1470 is too small to make 11' 8" (3.55m) from 8 steps, then I have a problem.  In Reno I got away with this.  At San Diego the poles were small but I still made heights on them. Today they were like toys.  Lesson learned, but the good news is that my knee did not hurt.  That, along with getting to spend time with a great group of guys, made this a fantastic day.  Thanks for your support!  Bubba

No comments:

Post a Comment