Saturday, March 24, 2012

Fine Tuning?

I went out to run today and decided I would try and run the steep bleachers - 60 steps or 30 "lefts".  I haven't done this since the first week before I discovered the stadium ramp might be better.  My goal was at some point be able to run up the steep bleachers at a full running tempo.  I was nowhere close to that on the last day I attempted it.  So what made me want to try it today? 

Like all athletes with a ding, we constantly want to test it to see how it's going.  Usually not the best idea but sometimes it works.  I originally wanted to do these bleachers because they would make me explosively slam my foot down to push off, PLUS make me drive forward and up.  The first action is how I hurt the under part of my leg, and the second part is how I hurt my groin.  My thinking was this would be good preventive conditioning, especially if I went periods without vaulting.  The only problem was I didn't have the strength and quickness to do it without looking like I was walking at a fast pace.

Today was different.  Because I have been running 10 X 50m bleacher ramps 2-3 days a week for awhile I was able to blast right up the bleachers for most of the way just like I was running on flat ground.  My tempo and rhythm were good.  Of course at the 3/4 point my lack of specific sprint conditioning slowed me horribly and I was pretty out of breath. As a recovery I walked over to, and down the stadium ramp and the ran back up it.  That was one set. 

Today I only made two sets for four total repetitions.  My goal is 5/10.  What does that tell you?  I've got some serious work to do.  The good news is that I have improved enough to do it at all, and now with three days a week to attempt it, I feel I will get better at it much faster.  That said, the GREAT news was that I felt no pain ANYWHERE!!  So that makes for a good day.  And I hope you have a great day!  Bubba

No comments:

Post a Comment