Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Day Off

I travel on Tuesdays so that gives me some time to think while I drive and listen to the radio. Jim Rome was talking about seeing LA Laker, Kobe Bryant, at a Mexican food restaurant on a Friday night during the off season. He was leaving about 10 PM after watching part of a basketball game in the bar. He told Rome that he had to go home and get his lifting in that he had run out of time in the morning. Rome quizzed him about being world champion and the off season, etc., to which Kobe replied, "I couldn't go to bed without getting the workout in or I would feel like a bum. You can't get those missed practices back".

I feel the same way but I have always called it the "no miss rule". Once Dean and I were driving to Texas from Southern California and would be gone a week. We did doubles for the whole week before we left so that we wouldn't miss a training session. Now I'll miss or adjust one but only for health reasons. Sick, injured or rundown will cause me to adjust or even skip. I feel that since I take my time and make sure that all of my sessions are quality ones, I don't feel so bad if I need to adjust or skip. What I will never do is go through the motions just to get done. I try to focus on every single exercise within every component as if that is the only thing I will do on that day.

Hope you have a great day. Drizzly and 74 today. I'll try and jump in the morning depending on the weather. Worse case I'll go out on Christmas Eve. Bubba

No comments:

Post a Comment