Thursday, December 3, 2009

Meets in New Mexico & Canada 5 Days Apart?

In a round about way through my friend and fellow M55 vaulter, Bob Crites, I am going to be invited to jump on February 28 at the USA Track & Field Indoor Championships for the elite athletes in Albuquerque, New Mexico. http://www.usatf.org/events/2010/USAIndoorTFChampionships/

There will be an eight man field vault on Sunday morning at 10 before the elites jump. The top two in the elites meet go to World Indoors in Doha. It's the big showcase meet for US elites this year so getting to be part of the warm up act is really awesome. VERY cool.

If you have watched this blog closely you already know what I'm thinking - I'm vaulting on Sunday in Albuquerque, leaving Wednesday for Canada and jumping in World Masters Indoors on Friday. That's five days from meets in New Mexico to Canada. I can make that work training wise but my poles will already be in Canada.

I've already emailed Kris this morning to see how we should split up the poles for each trip. Clearly Canada is the BIG event but I need a vault session before then anyway so I'll use smaller poles in Albuquerque. I also skip poles in my series depending on the meet so I'll take the big poles to Canada and the in between poles to New Mexico. I think. We'll look at that some more this weekend.

SO, pretty exciting opportunity. Last year I got to vault at the 100th Drake Relays and this year will be the first time ever that masters have pole vaulted at the elites national meet. It's one of those things you can't say no to. Have a great day!! Bubba

UPDATE - It's official, I'm in the Masters Exhibition at the USA Track & Field Indoor Nationals for the elites. Should be fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment