Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Nice Place to Start

The game plan is to make my 44' (13m) run and smallest 14' (4.30m) poles the new baseline. I rushed through my warm-up because of the threat of rain but it went well. BTW - 71 degrees out today. It's supposed to be a high of 53 tomorrow.

I felt I could have gone at my start height of 12' (3.66m) from my 33' (10m) run but that's not the plan so I moved back a stride to 44' where I knew the pole would feel fairly small. I figure this will help protect my legs from having to run too hard. Made 12' on the 2nd attempt by a long way and then easily cleared 12' 6" (3.81m) on the next vault - both on the 17.5. So on jump #4 of the day I'm already at 13' (3.97m). I moved up a pole to the 17.2 and had two super jumps and one OK jump and stopped. I had a lot of bars and running to do and didn't want to get rained out so I felt six quality vaults were perfect since I will jump again on Saturday.

Technically I stayed upright longer, kept the hand pressure throughout the vault, and didn't allow the hips to break during the swing and BOOM - one jump fix as the vaults were excellent and very controllable. At 13' I started to really dial the jump in and nearly left it up which would have been a pole PR.

This is a very good session to build off of so I'm very pleased. To put this in perspective, the 17.2 is a pole I would never use in a meet because it is too small. It's basically a warm up pole yet I nearly made 13' on it today from 44'. That's what I'm looking for - grooving in high level technical jumps on my smaller 14' poles. Great day for progress. Bubba

No comments:

Post a Comment