Sunday, December 13, 2009

OK Day - Weather Still Sucks

Well I didn't get hurt. That's about all that mattered today. It was 46 and so foggy I couldn't see the top of the standards when I got there. By the time I left it was merely overcast and 48. It's still supposed to get to 71 today but it's noon now so I don't see it. At least there was no wind.

I got to the track early because I knew everything would be wet and the box would need to be cleaned out. I also took my time so that I didn't get too far along in my warm up before Kris got there. At 9:35 I assumed he was slowed by the fog and just started without him. Sure enough he had left a message that his truck was slow to start and that the fog was too thick to drive fast. He got there about five minutes after I finished my running and about half way through my bars. That's alright. I'm sure it as much more frustrating for him than me as he already had kids showing up for his clinic when he got there.

I started on my 4m (13')/14.7 and made 12' on my second attempt from 33' 6". Moved to the 14.3 and did the same. Then took three on my smallest 14' (4.30m) pole from the same run, almost getting in enough to make the bar. My technique was solid and I was able to make small corrections from jump to jump. I could have done more but I have a meet in six days so no need risking getting hurt.

I normally lift legs the day I jump but this week will be strung out as I don't have time to do both rotations of my training so I'll lift at the gym tomorrow. I could have gone today but I didn't feel as good as I thought I should have for having two days off. Part of that can be not stretching yesterday. Lance Armstrong said that during the Tour de France, you always need a day off but you feel so much worse after the day off that it's a mixed blessing. Same for me. If I don't stretch I don't feel like I have a relaxed open stride. That said I was at 33' 6" today and my best is 34'. Because I was a little flat I'll lift the short rotation (lower volume) tomorrow instead of the long one (higher volume) today.

In short I'm happy the with way I vaulted but wish I would have felt a little better. Even so, I was using decent sized poles from my short run with no strain. I also felt a little weak on the bars so there's another reason to take the rest of today easy and hit it again tomorrow.

I'm excited to vault next weekend and am already walking through pole/run scenarios for my height progression. Should be fun. Have a great Sunday! Bubba

No comments:

Post a Comment