Saturday, December 26, 2009

Signals - Protecting Me From Me

Yesterday I felt some weird little things in my hamstrings but not anything to worry about as I seemed to feel pretty good otherwise. After taking out the trash this morning I noticed an odd little grab in my upper back on the left. Today on my way over to the track it was 39 degrees. We usually wait for 45 but I had to be there for the All Comers meet. After warming up to get a few jumps in I noticed six people on the runway ready to vault in the meet. I expected 2-3 and I would just jump after them. As they neared completion I got up to get moving again in order to vault and I felt pretty dead all of the sudden. I did my running workout hoping that would warm me up. Still did not feel great. I chose to look at all of these signals and not risk getting hurt so I put my poles away without vaulting. As I got back in the car two hours after I arrived, the temperature had only risen to 41. I think it was a good call.

Considering that I jumped in a meet a week ago and trained very hard this week, including an excellent jump day on Wednesday, it just makes no sense to force the issue. I have meets on the next two Saturdays so I can't come in run down or hurt. I'm comfortable that this was the right thing to do.

Could I have vaulted today? Yes. Would I have gotten hurt? Probably not. But my experience is that if you force a tired body, it takes longer for it to respond back to feeling good and I really want and need to feel good for the next two weekends. Have a great day! Bubba

No comments:

Post a Comment