Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Feeling Better

The HELL that was about 12 hours for me yesterday has evolved into a pretty fast return to strength and appetite. Unfortunately for Nancy, she started her 12 hours last night about 8. Finally hers too is subsiding so she's able to sleep, an impossible goal in the midst of the wretching. Thanks for the advice Dean - you're right about the recovery time frame.

So what did I miss? Very little actually as I would have had a nice gym lift with bars and stretching yesterday, but today is my scheduled off day as I travel to see client/partners. I stayed home from that today. Tomorrow I'll get to some strides and stretching and be back on track. I hope to recover full strength by Saturday.

Don got his injections for his osteitis pubis yesterday and feels better but will skip the meet this weekend. I think that's smart as he's taken this long to resolve the issue; what's a few more days. He has been able to vault at a low level and has been progressing on his technical issues so I'm sure he will make a quick recovery.

As I've mentioned before, Don and I grew up vaulting in each other's backyards as kids. When he is jumping we vault together 1-2 times a week which is helpful for both of us. He will be 54 next year with an M50 PR of 13'. Just what I need, another stud coming into my age group soon. It will only make me train harder to try and stay ahead. That too is not bad for either one of us.
Don's biggest moment came in Louisville in 2007 at the National Senior Games. I was coming off of a bad hamstring so was unsure I could jump, but things went pretty well and I was in the lead going to 12' 6" (3.81m). At that height there were four of us remaining. Don makes it on the first jump to seal the win and I get 2nd. That's pretty cool, two training partners getting gold and silver, but the best part was that had Don not made 12' 6", he would have gotten 4th and no medal at all. He's a great friend and competitor so I'm glad to get him back out on a full time basis after screwing around with his insurance company for nearly two years.

Have a great day and thanks for hanging in here. Bubba

No comments:

Post a Comment