Saturday, July 16, 2011

It's a Long Way to the Top

Just two days ago I vaulted in the World Masters Championships, and two weeks from today I will be in Cleveland for outdoor nationals, yet I'm slaving away calculating final prep for Cleveland and the beginning of next year's training.  BTW - "Next year" begins the Thursday after Cleveland.

As you know, in 2013 I turn 60 so the next two years will be a blast into that so I can try and jump 13' / 3.97m at 60.  To date, only one man has ever done that, John Altendorf, who coincidentally may do the same at age 65 when he jumps in Sacramento today. 

In 2013 Cleveland will host the National Senior Games, World Masters Championships will be in Porto Alegro, Brazil, and the World Masters Games, which I won in Sydney, will be in Turin, Italy.  Those are the only targets that matter to me over the next two years.  And as ACDC says, "It's a Long Way to the Top of Your Wanna Rock and Roll" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9iOk8PqkKs

ACDC is an Australian band and is also my pick today because the 2016 World Masters Championships have been awarded to Perth, Australia.  Not to mention one of my buddy, Dean "The Machine" Gregory's favorite bands.  Thanks Deano for the hotel selection in Sacramento. Outstanding!!  I'll mail your T-shirt when I get home.

Thanks to everyone of you who reads this silly little venting of frustration, hope and uncertainty.  I love it when you come up and tell me that you read it.  I write it because I know every single masters vaulter goes through exactly what I do.  Thank you so much for your incredible support.  I will do my best not to let you/us down.  Off to the airport - homeward bound.  Bubba

No comments:

Post a Comment