Sunday, July 10, 2011

Project Complete - Almost

Of course I'm not done until the competition is complete but I'm totally done with all I can do.  LONG easy stretch today and will do the same tomorrow and Tuesday.  I'm as ready as I can be and cautiously optimistic that my body is up for the challenge.

I sent a message to long time friend Jill Starkey yesterday who won the W40.  She was an Olympic Trials finalist in her prime with a best vault of 14' 1 1/4" (4.30m), and is married to Dean Starkey, 19' 5" (5.92m).  I wanted to know her take on the conditions.  She responded in part, "Hey bubba, the wind was bad. .. big cross/head wind. The sun was in your eyes too. so not ideal".  That's about what I figured but I wanted to hear from her.  They jumped at 9 AM and had the sun in their eyes so I'm sure at 8 AM it will be worse.  Plus it is also supposed to be about 10 degrees cooler.  Sounds like Kris and I came up with the best and safest plan.

Today's song is Van Halen's, "Dreams".  My kid at UC Irvine from Hungary loved this song.  We listened to it a lot as we drove around Atlanta for the five weeks we were there for the 1996 Olympic Games where he went as my assistant.  This version has the Blue Angels flying.  The best kid I ever coached, Borya Celentano, who trained with Pete, is a Navy jet pilot. 

Medal Predictions?  Same as Albuquerque;
Gold - Gary Hunter
Silver  - Charlie Brown
Bronze - Kirk Benz.

Have a great day and thanks for your support.  I look back to the fact that I originally planned to skip this meet because I'm too old in the group to be competitive with the younger guys coming up.  I chose to jump at it only to challenge myself and to set me up for the next two years as I prepare to turn 60 before the next world championships.  So thanks again.  It means the world to me!  Bubba

No comments:

Post a Comment