Sunday, July 17, 2011

Reflection

My first day back to full training today and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.  Don't get me wrong, it sucked, just not as bad as I was expecting.  My left knee did have a small flare so I'll keep an eye on it when I run on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday.  Worse case I'll get it shot again Monday morning of next week.  I almost jumped this morning on small poles just for fun but decided it's more important to get back to work on my run so I can move poles in Cleveland.

My main reflection is that I overachieved and survived at Worlds.  I was 163 and you just don't move poles like you do at 170.  I was shocked to be that light.  That said I asked Kris to get me 1-2 smaller poles in case I remain this low in weight.  I felt strong and fast so I can't justify gaining weight to get on a pole; hence I expect at least one from Kris. 

The key is pole speed and if you can get the pole past vertical and leave the standards on 80 cm/31.5", you can get some blow off the top of the pole.  I was less vertical going up the pole in this meet than I have been in years because I was having to angle my body to make sure I got in deep enough to try and clear the bar.  That is a horrible situation.

Our poles should be back tomorrow from Sacramento and on Friday they need to leave for Cleveland.  Glad this is the last meet but I am very excited to get a chance to jump well. I don't feel a letdown from Worlds but rather feel I'm getting a new opportunity to jump high.  Considering I have only jumped in three outdoor meets, I NEED a good one.

Here is the link to Wednesday's jumps in Apple MOV format.  I like it because you can hit pause and then advance frame by frame using the cursor.  Here is the 12' / 3.65m jump - http://www.bubbapv.com/WMA12.mov and here is the 12' 6" / 3.80m jump - http://www.bubbapv.com/wma12-6.MOV  Nothing special about either which represents my struggle of the day.  Both jumps are "Saves" rather than carefully executed planned jumps.  Oh well; I'll take it and learn from it.

I feel good about Cleveland so far.  Of course I have some refining and planning to do but I'm sure it will work out.  What's funny is six months ago I told Kris that worse case the weather in Sacramento will be bad and I can move back a stride, go to spikes, stay on a small pole and bring my standards in a little and be OK.  That's exactly what happened.  It's not the preferred option but I didn't bat an eye in denial that I had to go to plan Z; I just did it.  I guess it does to pay to over analyze way in advance.  Believe me, I'm looking at Cleveland with new eyes.  Thanks so much for being here!  Bubba

No comments:

Post a Comment