Saturday, July 9, 2011

Weighty Matters

I had a long talk with Kris today about my final lead up to my jumping Wednesday.  I'm not complaining I don't think but I'm coming in quite a bit lighter than I have been lately.  Of course I have been watching my eating but I've also been out in the heat for the better part of the last two days.  I normally wake up on a meet day at about 168 so I go out to jump at about 170 after I eat.  I woke up yesterday at 161.5 and today at 162.5.  I woke up for NSG at 165.5 and it made me struggle to move a normally easy pole, hence flaring my hamstring.

I'm healthy, my training has gone well, but if I wake up that morning under 167 our plan is to stay one pole down and not move to the big poles so quickly.  I also plan to move back to 12 steps/64' for my 2nd height on the the 2nd pole I normally jump on from 10 steps/54'.  This is partly because of my weight and partly because it is supposed to be 50 degrees as a low that morning.  Finally, international rules do not allow a run through (warm up jump with no bar) at the height you enter.  So start on an easy pole and then move back a stride for the next one so I can relax on the runway.

We finished our pole vault clinic at the high school today and I was able to stay off of my feet. I got there early enough to complete my final sled/hill running and stretching. So that's it; nothing left but stretching and travel and no further workouts. I feel well prepared and ready.

Today's music is Bachman Turner Overdrive's, "You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet".  I heard it on the radio today and I immediately applied it to my pole/run length/weight/weather juggle.  Because I have NO idea how this will play out, I've got about three different scenarios to choose from.  I'm totally comfortable with any of these options.  Have a great day!  Bubba
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7miRCLeFSJo

PS - Medal predictions tomorrow!!

No comments:

Post a Comment