Friday, July 1, 2011

New Developments

Had a good strong lift in the gym today.  It was supposed to be yesterday after I ran but on three attempts to go lift, something came up where I had to return home.  Turns out when I looked at my remaining days on the calender, that waiting until today was optimal anyway for my last rotations of training.  Me being protected from me I guess.

I see on the website that the pits in my age group will start at 2.60m/8 ' 6 1/4"., and go 15cm/6" until there are five vaulters left, then 10cm/4" until three vaulters are left and then 5cm/2" until complete.  I'm guessing that since the lowest vaulter on my pit has vaulted 3.35m/11' that no one will jump at the opening height or maybe even the first two heights.  Pit B will probably have several jumping at the first two heights.

SO, we're probably looking at the metric equivalents of 8' 6", 9', 9' 6", 10', 10' 6", 11', 11' 6", 12', 12' 6", 12' 10" 13' 2", 13' 4", 13' 6", etc..  The question becomes, what happens to Gary Hunter on Pit 2?  He may not jump at the same heights we do since he will be alone by 13' where he starts.  He will be going 2" per height.  Should be interesting.

POLES - I got the poles packaged and labeled yesterday and I'm sure they have been picked up this morning already.  I'll check a little later and provide a link for you to track them if you are so inclined.  Well, how about now?  The tracking number is 880773213 and you can track it here - http://www.dbschenkerusa.com/  My buddy Kirk Bentz works for this company at LAX so he shepherds all poles through there and sometimes writes notes on them to the vaulters.

Me on TV? - I went to the bank this morning and the teller asked me if I was on TV last night.  A neighbor and a girl at the vet's office both told Nancy they saw me.  No I wasn't arrested.  When I flew in from Denver last Friday our local NBC affiliate was doing a story on finding the best flight deals.  In the segment where she briefly speaks to me (about halfway/2 minute mark) she asks what I paid for my flight and then asks another lady on the same flight what she paid.  Nothing special but it also doesn't happen every day.  It was my birthday that day so maybe that's it.  Anyway, here you go - http://www.click2houston.com/news/28409483/detail.html

Hope you all have a fun and safe holiday weekend.  Thank you so much for being here with me.  I had a friend ask me last week how it feels to be so near the end of this year and my goal event.  Good question.  My response was that I have USA Nationals two weeks later and two days after that I start training for next year.  That said, nothing matters but Wednesday the 13th at the World Championships.  As one of the older guys in the group, I would be thrilled to be on the top 6, but nothing is ever assured. Bubba

PS - I forgot to mention that today I went over 19 million pounds lifted since I started training again on 1/1/205.  I should get to 4,000 pounds lifted for this year by Cleveland.

No comments:

Post a Comment