Saturday, October 22, 2011

Good Day @ Texas vs. Louisiana Meet

We had quite a few vaulters, which is not at all unusual.  I jumped in the first group because they were starting under 11' (3.35m).  I was going to be really careful with my right leg / groin issue.  For the first time in my career I started a meet at four steps or 22' (7m) as my run length.  Lots of funny looks and comments from parents whose kids who were running from 70'+ but only making 8' to 9'.  If you can't do it right from close then you can't do it right from far. That simple.

I made 9' 6" (2.90m), 10' (3.05m) on first attempts from there and then moved back to six steps or 33' (10m).  From six I made 10' 6" (3.20m) and 11' (3.35m) on first attempts.  I was the only one vaulting since 11' and group two was ready to warm up so I passed 11' 6" (3.51m) and went right to 12' (3.66m).  I moved up a pole but stayed at six steps.  I made 12' on my first attempt and stopped with the win - Pole = 13'1"/4m/180.2/82kg/14.3 - grip = 12'4"/3.75m.  On that take off I felt my leg a little so I don't know if it's re-injured or just set back a bit.  It doesn't really matter at this point as I have no real meets of a high level until December 3, so it's back to hard training.

I was very pleased with my control of my technique.  My poles were way too small and that was fine for what I was trying to do.  When I can jump 12' easy from 33' I'm ready for bigger things.  Time to move up my training a notch to hit the bigger poles.  Clearly the effort on the smaller poles paid dividends in improved technique and thrust from the smaller poles.  Getting the win was secondary but I will take it.  Thanks for being here today and every day!!  Bubba

PS - I met a super nice new masters vaulter who told me that this blog played a role in him starting to vault again.  So glad to see new faces on the scene and that my toils here may have an effect on all of our efforts.  We're all in the same boat; trying to get better at a sport we love.  No matter what height we have jumped we are all the same.  Very cool to meet new / old vaulters returning to the scene!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment