Friday, October 28, 2011

Stuff!!

First, the house deal is done and we move in on December 17.  FINALLY!!

My leg seems to have suddenly taken a turn for the better as I have barely noticed it the past couple of days.  Kind of surprising since it really was sore after my last running on Tuesday.  I might do a few low level take offs tomorrow before the Halloween Vault to see how it feels.

Taking the mystery out of training.  I got an email from a friend, Carl Huff, who has been working his butt off with great success to be a better vaulter.  We are in the same age group so he has been trying some of the stuff I do.  I decided that this morning's conversation might be a good blog topic for today so here we go.  Have a great day!  Bubba
------------------------------
You have to do a program like you could do it for the rest of your life. If you want your body to "trust you", you have to give it a reason to do so. Here is where that comes from. I worked several years ago with a cardiologist and some of the USA’s best cyclists. The “theory” was that if you could keep them just on the edge, or “friendly” side of being out of breath, that their bodies would learn to “trust” them and “let them do more”.
When a cyclist or runner hits oxygen debt, they have to back off briefly and then come back up to speed. The next round back up they get out of breath sooner, and sooner, and sooner, until they “explode” or “bonk” and have little or no useful oxygen capacity. By doing it our way, that wall of pain and oxygen debt started moving our further, and further, thus allowing more work with no failures. Our “goal” was that when you hit the top of a hill you needed to be able to accelerate. If you could not then you went too hard. The result was that cyclists started making more progress over the first 3-4 months than they had in the past 2-3 years.

Me being a dummy pole vaulter, decided to try the same approach to lifting, jumping, training intensity. Go super easy and slowly build it up over time until my body “trusted” me not to hurt it. Worked and works like a charm.

NOW – I’m dinged (not injured) often because my body makes no testosterone, not because I over do it. In fact I’ve had tons of training sessions where I never go over 30-50% yet my body and abilities seem to continue to improve. Hope this helps. Hang in there! You’re doing great!! Bubba

No comments:

Post a Comment