Saturday, October 8, 2011

Reality - Two Steps Forward & One Step Back

Last year at Belton I saw my buddy Scotty Miller warming up to vault.  He's a coach now and finally old enough to vault with the masters group.  In his prime he vaulted 18' 5" (5.62m) at the University of Texas where he was also a defensive back on the football team.  Scotty is LITTLE but uber powerful and explosive and thought nothing of taking off at 15' 2" (4.65m) when everyone else was around 13' (4m).  As I watched him warm up I thought, "DAMN, I'm running like an old man trying not to get hurt and he's running in with these bounding rhythmical strides looking like he could explode any second he chooses to".  My goal this year is the be more like Scotty.

So far I've upped my explosiveness in small doses but I have to be really careful with it until my body learns how to handle it.  Today was a perfect example. I was warming up on my 14' 1" (4.30m) poles and I felt really quick and explosive.  I was gripping near 12' 1" (3.70m) from only four steps and even bending the pole.  As my legs got quicker I started feeling a little weakness under the back of my right leg like a high posterior groin area.  Since I have never had this and it didn't feel like and injury yet, I stopped.

That's just the way it's going to be for awhile.  Ramp up and be explosive but shut down at the first sign of trouble until my body can adjust. To anyone outside of my body or mind this day would have looked like a dismal failure and yet another setback.  To me it's one step closer to jumping like Scotty.

I finished my sleds and felt fortunate to not be injured.  I'm comfortable with the knowledge that in the long run I'm quite sure this plan will work.  Have a great day and thanks for your support.  Bubba

Here's another small yet explosive guy  - Greg Duplantis - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mN81WrPYHz8

No comments:

Post a Comment