Sunday, March 14, 2010

Another Thud for Issy

The greatest women vaulter in the world proved to be fallible again today. After nh'ng the World Outdoors in Berlin last summer, it took her all three jumps Friday to make today's final in Doha. She got 4th. Tough to stay at the top. The week after Berlin she set a new world record and she promised one indoors. Reminds me a little of Bubka - wins the 1988 Olympics, NHs 1992 in Barcelona and then withdraws as injured during warm up in Atlanta. Again, tough mentally and physically to stay up for long time periods.

In my first post on my blog for Australia I said that we masters vaulters train for big meets like a fighter trains for a fight. We have a final preparation period of build up of 6 - 8 weeks to get to exactly where want to be. I know if I jump more than two meets in a row I start to "miss practice" where I can work on things. You have to rest before meets so you miss valuable practice time. But without meets you don't know if what you are doing is working. It's a fine balance. I'm happy jumping once every 3 - 4 weeks in a meet and train the rest. Last summer I did three meets in a row and it almost injured me.

I bring this up because Indoor Nationals in Boston is a mere three weeks after we just finished World Indoors. Mentally and physically this is a challenge so you see some of the big names are skipping nationals. Some are going but I can tell you first hand that 2 - 3 weeks after Sydney, jumping in a big meet was the last thing I felt like doing. I was physically and mentally drained. In fact, my first training session I almost lost my hamstring. For me nationals will be a "rehab assignment". Survive it and don't get hurt, then I can go back and ramp up for the big outdoor meets without much fear of injury.

Another great running and lifting session today. In a perfect world I would skip nationals and train myself back up the ladder from small poles to big poles. I don't have that time luxuary. If my arm holds up I'll have a great day because I'm running really well. If I feel it's a threat, I'll clear my opening height and stop and hope to get a medal. After five weeks of complete rehab with no setbacks, a hamstring is healed so I would expect no less of the bicep. Still, we won't know until that day.

Beautiful day here today. Have a great Sunday wherever you are and thanks for your support. Bubba

No comments:

Post a Comment