Sunday, March 28, 2010

Home Sweet Home ...

I always like getting back home after a big meet. This was such an incredibly stressful five weeks. I didn't jump that high, my normal opening height, but I survived it and can now return to training and that is priceless. Winning a medal at Nationals is always special so I feel very fortunate to have come out with one.

I'll skip this first rotation and pick it up on Thursday to make sure that everything really is OK. Of course on the way out of the hotel this morning I rolled and picked up our bags and slung them with my right hand and felt nothing in the bicep. Sure it's sore but what isn't? The vault is such a high impact sport if done correctly that it will beat you up, especially when your first session in five weeks is at such a relative high level.

The plan now is to ramp back up slowly through my smaller poles and by the time I'm back to the big ones I should have re-established my technical efficiency. I'm so glad I kept grinding when I couldn't jump because I would really be playing catch up physically right now. I only make this comment because of how hard it was to make myself show up every day and do the work when I knew there was no chance of jumping for five weeks. The most depressing part was not knowing if I would get hurt yesterday and have to restart the injury/rehab clock.

I met a ton of great people this weekend and didn't realize I had so many vaulters who follow this blog. Thanks so much for your encouragement and support. To the guys I just met, please shoot me an email and let's stay in touch.

Kirk Bentz! You are the man! Great job Buddy! Let me get well and challenge each other like we originally made a pact to do before you came into our group. As we discussed, it will only make us both better. Thanks for your friendship and CONGRATS!!

Have a great night and thanks to everyone for caring and supporting me and all vaulters! It takes a team and I'm thrilled to have you to lean on and depend on! Bubba

No comments:

Post a Comment