Sunday, March 7, 2010

M55 & The Legend of Dan West

The M55 group at Kamloops was a different animal for me because I have never gone out to a big meet knowing I wasn't jumping. Oh I could have jumped, which is why I made the six hour drive back from Lake Louise that morning and gave no thought to my diet over the few days preceding the meet. I didn't want to be able to jump even though I could. When I saw that Bill Murray had dropped out and that Kristian from Iceland and USA's Steve Hardison hadn't come, I knew I could easily get a medal. STILL, I stuck to my guns and stayed out because I know I would have damaged my arm that is now almost well. The final challenge was when I saw DJ from The Netherlands had black friction tape for his poles. That was my missing link for me to be able to vault. It was the hardest decision I have ever made but I stayed out and that was the right thing to do.

They say when one door closes another opens and that door opened for Dan West. They strictly enforced the stupid "athletes can't coach each other" rule so after Dan's 2nd miss at his opener (3.55m - 11' 7 3/4") I went up in the stands so I could yell and cheer like the rest of the crowd. That was the beginning of Dan's luck change as he cleared the bar on his 3rd attempt to secure the bronze medal. I was so happy for Dan. Kirk I knew would win but Dan was a wild card who a few short years ago would have been the favorite.

For those of you who don't know Dan, he had a foot injury that seemingly cannot be solved. He vaulted 4.20m (13' 9 1/2") as an M50 - a BIG mark. What makes Dan special is his love for the vault and vaulters. You see, Dan won the bronze medal in a World Championship by taking off of the wrong foot. He taught himself to do this, after a year of failing as a left hander, so that he could continue to do the sport he loves. That puts him on the podium in my book no matter what. So many people who know and love Dan were overwhelmed with joy to see him get that medal. I personally was choked up for him as I told the story to Nancy in the stands. Congrats to all competiors but an extra Kudos for the lionhearted Dan West. I'm honored to be his friend and he is certainly my hero! Below, Kirk and Dan walk out front (Dan in black & white) with me and the others to the pit to get started. YouTube = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1XBYEBNcuQ Bubba

I just saw a great saying on a T-Shirt with a snowboarder going off a cliff. The same saying can easily be applied to pole vaulters - "Confidence is that feeling you have just before you fully understand your situation". Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment