Thursday, March 11, 2010

Good 1st Day - Again

Good running day with 8 X 50m up the little hill with the sled. The gym felt easy as rest will make you feel stronger at first. SO, strong and fast on the first day back. I have my next massage/torture session tomorrow.

Our M40 guy, Matt Kowalski (3 time national champ), will jump Saturday morning on my new poles. He does this for me whenever I get new poles. He will go in the order I feel they go when I switch from 14' 1" (4.30m) to 14' 7" (4.45m). Kris' calculations show that the 1st 14' 7" should be .1 flex point weaker than my biggest 14' 1" pole. As you may remember, my biggest 14' 1" pole was too small in Belton on January 2. Matt will jump on each one in order and tell me what the relative difference in feel is. Before he has told me, "it's quite a jump to the next pole but the one after it is pretty easy to transition too". This is invaluable since I mainly use big poles in meets.

Another controversial technique is called "tapping" where the vaulter gets a quick push in the back right after leaving the ground. This allows you to get the feel of jumping on a bigger pole without the same injury risk of trying to run real hard. It is very much like "spotting" in gymnastics where Kris will "read" how much I need to be pushed to get in. If it's not much then I'm on my own for the rest of the jumps. Between Matt and a tap session I plan with Kris in mid April, I'll have a good feel for the new poles. Right now they are FAT, HEAVY and SCARY as all big poles are.

That's it for today. Have a great evening and thanks for hanging in here with me. I leave for Boston two weeks from tomorrow. Bubba

No comments:

Post a Comment