Saturday, March 27, 2010

Silver Medal & Unhurt

Different type of stressful day as the schedule was running about two hours behind. I did not turn up (go vertical) in warm up because I didn't know if my bicep would take it. I started very low at 11' 1 3/4" (3.40m) on my 17.5 and made it easy on the first jump to get the silver medal and thought about stopping. Moved up a pole to the 17.2 for 11' 7 3/4" (3.55m) and was being very cautious and scared so I got a miss. The next jump I hit it good and made it pretty far. I moved back to my 54' and up another pole (16.5) for 12' 1 1/2" (3.70m) and made it on my 1st jump. Had a very good jump at 12' 7 1/2" (3.85m) on my 15.9 carbon but when Kirk made it on his first I passed my next two jumps to 13' 1 1/2" (4m) and had one good jump. Kirk made it for the win and then got a new American Record of 13' 6 3/4" (4.13m). He had a very good day and I was in survival mode. Considering I've had several good attempts at the AR myself I think Kirk and I will have some great battles when I am totally healthy again.

All in all I was pleased and relieved not to get hurt and to still be able to be aggressive even though I hadn't touched a pole in five weeks. It was a very tough day mentally but I survived so I'm thrilled. I say aggressive but actually I was overcautious on my technique even though I was on big poles. The result is the best I could hope for at this point of my recovery. Next week it's back to regular training AND I will now get to vault twice a week, Hallelujah!!

Thanks for all of your support. It's been an incredibly unstable period but I kept on grinding on the things I could do. My biggest fear was that my arm would survive but I would strain a groin or hamstring. My other hard training kept that from happening. Thanks again! Bubba

No comments:

Post a Comment