Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Back to Work

Now we leave the snow, Canada & winter - Home tomorrow
The Fairmont Chateau at Lake Louise
A stream goes under a one lane bridge with no traffic

My plan on this trip was to get some running/striding in every other day and I did that through Kamloops where I did many strides while the guys warmed up and competed. My body feels very good so I have shut things down completely before resuming my training on Thursday - a complete rest for four days. I will have four complete three day rotations before I leave for Boston and also four deep tissue massages, which worked beautifully after one visit. Running will be hill/sled reps and all of my sprint drills will be with a long/heavy pole. TONS of stretching.

Like Nancy said this morning at breakfast, we left in winter and we're coming back to spring. Warmer weather gives me a more consistent time to train so I can plan my business around training. Very tough to plan a 9 AM session and have to go at 1 PM because it's cold and wet. Now the whole day gets juggled and it's hard to stay on track. That said, I had a great winter of training even though I didn't get to vault much.

USA Indoor Nationals in Boston has been a blessing and a curse for me. My very first trip there in 1997 I won and then was stuck with a chain of three 2nd place finishes. Since I returned after my Achilles surgeries I have gotten 4th there on all three attempts. The only year it has not been there, last year, I won in Landover, Maryland. Now we're back at Boston before going to Albuquerque for the next two years. Last chance in this age group and at Boston for awhile.

NOW, let's check out my chances of winning; NONE!! New World Champion, Kirk Bentz is there and I haven't competed in a meet since January 2, or 2.5 months. I will start on a small 14' pole at 11' 6" (3.51m) or 12' (3.66m) and see where it takes me. If I clear my opening height I should get 2nd or 3rd. All I really need is a meet under my belt to assure my arm is well. Oh it will be well because I will make no attempt to do anything to hinder it's healing until the meet. That will give me five weeks and two days of no agitation. As of today it feels great and I still have 2.5 weeks left.

The bottom line is to get a medal at Nationals while testing my "new body". I know that sounds funny but I have gotten faster and stronger. My rule when injured is to ALWAYS come back faster and stronger. It will be interesting to see how that feels after not jumping in so long. Optimally you don't want your very first vault session in 37 days to be at the national meet but that is the safest way to approach this. Thanks for listening. Bubba

No comments:

Post a Comment