Monday, March 1, 2010

Travel Day

Since I leave tomorrow I'll do my work travel day today. I did a double of running and then lifting yesterday. Tomorrow will be my last training session where I will lift at home; mainly bench and deep squats. Still no pulling exercises or bars.

As much as I want to go and jump at Boston I'm a little concerned that having not jumped at a significant level in nearly two months that I could get a hamstring or groin strain. It's a "Catch 22" in that the day I get back from Kamloops will be three weeks off - not enough to be well. If I try to jump the next week, I'm only one week out from Boston, so why not just wait and give it a full five weeks so I know it WILL be well? That's the plan. In a perfect world I would skip Boston and start ramping back up slowly and get ready for the bigger poles and longer runs for outdoors. IF I can go to Boston and make it a low to mid level workout without getting hurt, it could certainly be a nice start. That is my plan.

Kris and I said that last year was about placing high in big meets and this year is about jumping higher. Technically I knew I was progressing last year but not really ready to apply it at a higher level. As far as big meets I won Indoor Nationals and the World Masters Games in Sydney, even though I got 3rd at Outdoor Nationals.

So this year the goal is to devote my time to higher grips, longer runs and bigger poles. The meets aren't as important as the higher heights. Sure I hate that I couldn't jump at Reno and will now miss Kamloops and possibly Boston. But in the big picture I can deal with it. Three of my last four meets were over 13' (3.97m) and I was jumping well. I have to remember that and BE PATIENT!! Have a great day! Bubba

PS - Next year is a BIG year with National Senior Games in Houston and World Championships in Sacramento. It also marks the year that some big time jumpers move into my age group. That's why the focus is to jump higher. Got a year to figure out my runs, poles and grips. That's why I'm not AS concerned about meets this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment