Sunday, March 21, 2010

Last Gym Lift

If you remember I lift one day in the gym followed by a day at home. Part of it is that I have a broader selection of machines and cables at the gym and at home I have a Smith Machine and high P-Bars. All of my lifts we up around PR levels which is normal as I approach a big meet. What's funny is that I felt very lethargic and absolutely dreaded going to the gym. Even my curl exercises were at high levels but that still means nothing. Run down the runway, slam a big pole and see if the bicep hangs on. That's really the only test. I again resisted the bar exercises at the gym. I should (hope) be OK since I am doing the high P-Bars in my backyard without issue.

Heard from Kirk Bentz, M55 World Champ from Kamloops, that he has a great start pole for me at Boston - 4.30m/18.0. I'll see how I feel on that morning but may need to take him up on that offer. Kirk should get an easy win on Saturday which would be great for him considering he just won Worlds but has not yet won Nationals. Looking forward to it.

I heard from Dave Johnston (DJ) this morning that he visited with former Rice Alum and World Recordholder, Dave Roberts in Florida. Dave was checking up on how other vaulters were doing and asked about me and my brother. We're going to try and get a big vaulters reunion done in Florida or maybe next year at Reno. I've known Dave since he vaulted at Conroe high school. In 1976 he was third at the Montreal Olympics. I haven't seen him since the last pole vaulter party in California in 1995. Should be fun.

Gotta run and do some work since I have a short week. Have a great Sunday! Bubba

No comments:

Post a Comment