Saturday, May 8, 2010

Breakthrough - I Think

Of course I am grateful to Dr. Clouthier, Ashely, Dr. Martin, Sam Fontentot, PT, Bruce Forsyth, PT, Randall Fukuji, PT and Tom Dalonzo Baker, PT. These are my main "go to" pros. But even if I saw one of them every day I still have 23 hours left that I can be doing something for myself. At least now that my day isn't spent laying on ice with my legs up.

I went out today and ran 8 X 100m very easy and 1 X 50 hill before stopping. The hill felt like a little too much impact/power for this stage of where I am, thus only one. Having done ZERO for three weeks I want to stay well within myself. I keep hearing "jammed hip" from that squat rep, and then once on the trip I stepped quickly to the right and felt it "jam back in", so I guess that's part of the issue. It's still there but I felt amazingly good on the flights and with all of the walking around, sitting and standing during the trip.

So today when I'm walking to the car I had a vision of my own traction machine. I went home and attached a dog leash around my ankle and hooked the other to the cable link where I would sit to do seated rows. I stood up, took the slack out and leaned forward over my bench like I was going to lay on a surfboard. This provided a really nice and constant strong tension/traction on my hip. Then I lay on my back and sat back and did the same thing. I did this between all of my stretches. After a few series of these I dropped the weight down to 50 lbs. so it would give. This way I could crawl up to a support position and then let the weight just pull on the ankle. Again, I could feel the muscles fighting the tension and then they just "let go". That was about three hours ago and now I feel brand new. Below is a photo of my new traction setup that I will incorporate in with my stretching.
I had mentioned before that I came up with a little ball system to put direct pressure to the points that are really tight or tender. The pink thing is actually a business card holder I got to use as a runway marker. Obviously because it is pink I have chosen not to use it for that. That little pointed end hurts like crazy so I put 1/2 of a racquetball over it. PERFECT. So I also do these pressure point rotations between stretching. Whatever it takes. At least I feel better and am training again! Bubba

No comments:

Post a Comment