Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Firing on All Cylinders? Maybe Not

I felt a little beat up today as I drove to the track so I put on my headphones for the 2 mile drive over and put the top down on the car to get some fresh air and loud music. The goal was to complete 6 X 50m hills/sled and try to ramp up to a nice rhythmical tempo. I was able to run three reps at 90%+ with no issues or limitations. I backed down after that as not to be as stupid as I have proven myself capable of.

Considering what I just wrote, should we be surprised that one of our coaches yelled at me when he was running by and I was walking to my car, "do you realize your engine is running and the music is playing?" NO I did not but I have done this one other time. I drive a Mercedes CLK 350 convertible that foolishly lets me start the car without my key, as long as it is on my person. So I put the key in my fanny pack so I can't accidentally lock it in the car. When I got back to my car in the high school parking lot, the top is in fact down and music is playing pretty loud. What makes this stranger is that I get there about 20-30 minutes before school starts when the parking lot is empty and when I leave it is full. I'm lucky the car wasn't stolen or vandalized.

Speaking of music, I had a kid ask me the other day what the first record I ever had was. I was impressed he knew what records are considering his parents are probably too young to have had them. Cream, Disraeli Gears followed by the first Black Sabbath the next day. The first cassette was the Guess Who, American woman, which came on my MP3 on the way over and what prompted this memory. Which reminds me of an exchange I heard about 15 years ago when a teen aged girl asked her friend in amazement, "did you know that Paul McCartney was once in a band called The Beatles?" But I digress. The point is that music gets me through more workouts than you would imagine. Now if I can just remember to turn the car off.

I'm going to jump at a very low level on Thursday and shoot for jumping at our first All Comers two weeks from today. That will give me 11 days until the River Vault and almost four weeks until the Quintana Beach Vault. Today I can jump at least 12' (3.66m) based on how my body feels. The trick will be how my glute and nerve issue holds up. Only time will tell so I will try to be overcautious. But gauging by today, it will take a little more effort than usual to keep me from being stupid. Have a great day! Bubba

No comments:

Post a Comment