Sunday, May 23, 2010

Hot Weather for an Avalanche

It is hot but not as hot as it will get so today's practice was a little more challenging. I feel like right now I am rebuilding and hope to come out the other side as an improved vaulter in every aspect. The author of "Outliers", Malcom Gladwell, contends that it takes 10,000 focused repetitions to become a master of any subject or activity. I've always said that an avalanche begins with a single snowflake. Any way you look at it I'm rebuilding and today I was the epitome of a wimpy little melting snowflake.

It was hot and I had 10 X 50m sled/hills to do. I decided that since the doctor said I could use my forearm as long as it didn't flare, that I would try to vault on my very smallest pole. So I did seven of my sleds and the warmed up on a cut off Essx 13/4m/162/73 kg and it felt too small from two steps or 12' (3.65m). Still I walked back to 23'/8m and took one jump at 9' 6" (2.90). The pole was so tiny that I was over the bar cycling my legs like a long jumper and hoping I wasn't going to bounce off the back of the pit. Really pretty funny considering my PR on that pole is 10' 6" (3.20m) from the same run. I forget that I have lifted and run nonstop for months since I have used this pole and now it's useless. The next two poles were gone to a meet with Max so I guess next time I will try and go on it from two steps.

The forearm is sore but not further strained nor did the tendon flare. I can do all of my training components without limitation so this too will take care of itself. So maybe next time I can live up to being a single snowflake with integrity; OR maybe even get 2-3 jumps. Whatever - I've started jumping.

I finished my bars and headed for the gym where I had my hard lift day. Other than being a little wrung out from the heat blast it too was a good practice. I could do lateral flys as well as the exercises Dr. Rand gave me to do last week. Sore not injured is the verdict.

With all of this said I could easily do at least what I did at Boston (12' 1 1/2"/3.70m) as the left forearm is of considerably less consideration than the right arm. STILL, I'll follow the plan and come back in much better shape with cleaner technique. Thanks for your support and have a beautiful Sunday! Bubba

No comments:

Post a Comment