Thursday, May 13, 2010

So Far, So Good

I'm getting ready to go to the gym to lift and then come back home for a long stretch, but I was able to vault 11' 6" (3.51m) today from my 33' (10m) run and 11' from my 23' (7m) run - ALL with no glute/back/nerve issues. I stopped before going to 12' (3.66m) because I was having some type of strange little forearm cramp. Maybe I was dehydrated. I felt it a little on the day of my re-strain of my glute but don't expect it to be anything big. Holding positions on small poles is pretty hard since I have a constant contraction of certain muscles. Big poles require a harder hit but they come back quicker so you don't feel that sustained pressure. Today I was on very small 4m/13' 1" poles - 16.3, 15.9 and 15.5. I'll start on the 15.0 Sunday.

Of course I won't know until tomorrow where I am but the last time I left the track I was already having nerve issues and a catch in my back. No sign of any of that and I have been done for over an hour. So far, so good. Off to the gym. Have a great day! Bubba

PS - planning my bar progression for the All Comers meet. The officials and some masters jump early so we can help run off the meet, which usually has 30-40 vaulters each week. The track coaches officiate us while they are setting up. I'm thinking about 3.72 (12' 2 1/2") to 3.87m (12' 8 1/4") to 3.98m (13' 1/2") as a reasonable progression. We will see what happens as I get closer.

As a follow up to the forearm deal, I talked to my partner, Sam Fontenot, a physical therapist for 39 years, and he says this is a tendon issue (though it feels muscular) and they can hang on for a long time. Hence I made an appointment Monday morning at 8 to get it injected by my top sportsmed guy, Scott Rand, MD of Lone Star Sports Medicine. He's the genius that figured out my elbow issue that had bothered be for 8 months. Two weeks later it was well and never bothered me again. I'll report back what he says.

No comments:

Post a Comment