Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Glowing Expectations? NOT!!

I leave very early tomorrow morning to fly to Reno.  My expectations are minimal.  Last year I had been jumping really well early but got stuck every time I moved up to my 14' 7" (4.45m) poles.  A month before Reno me and Kris decided to take 5.5" (13cm) off of my poles.  Since the poles were made on 15' 1" (4.60m) sailpieces I now had a true 14' 7" that I could roll.  So I was jumping good but not high.  Tons of height on 12' 6" (3.81m) but couldn't roll the next pole to make 13' (3.97m).  So I trimmed those poles too and BOOM, 13' 6" in Reno, which held up to be the 3rd highest jump in the world last year for my group.  Then jumped 13' easy at National Indoors.  Those were the days, or were they?  I fully expect more later this year and next year.  FYI - the world record for age 58 is 13' 1 1/2" (4m) and the American Record is 13' 1" (3.99m) so I'm after that later.

This year for Reno I'm not quite as fit, mainly because of the move and groin strain, but I have had a lot of really good technical practices.  In fact, from my shorter runs I am almost on as big of poles as I have ever been from these runs.  The problem is my body may rebel if I go too fast too early.  I'll have to warm up at a very low level, sit around an hour or so waiting to start jumping, and then ease into my first height or two before I start challenging bigger poles and longer runs.  Timing these together without getting hurt is the key.  I feel fairly confident I can manage that, at least until the end.

Bottom line is that I hope to jump 12' (3.66m).  That may sound strange since I make that easily every day but when you are coming off of an injury and have sat around for awhile, there is no telling how the body will respond on round two. Typically I feel better in the meet than in warm up but that means at least for this meet I have to be super careful.  IF I made 12' 6" ish I would be pleased and if I jumped 13' I would be shocked and ecstatic.  Not that I don't think I can but again, it's reading my body.

We will see what we shall see.  Thank you so much for your support.  In the spirit of the magic needed to pull off a decent jump with my current fitness and jumping experience, here is the theme from super illusionist, Criss Angel's Mindfreak - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqilEB6Ojfc  Bubba

No comments:

Post a Comment