Sunday, January 1, 2012

Overthinking is Sometimes Good!!

When I left the gym to go to the track I started thinking.  Well actually overthinking.  It appeared the gate to let me on the field at Dana Hills High School was locked so that meant I could only do bleachers.  The problem is that I didn't "feel" like doing only bleachers was the best choice for where I am right now.  I couldn't put my finger on it but it just didn't feel right.  But what choice did I have?  The gate was locked to the track.  After my first double step I was out of breath and felt whipped.  I'm just nowhere near running shape from all of this moving, eating and no sled.  That said, because of my previous conditioning I can get it back really fast; like two weeks.  I have 2.75 weeks to Reno.  I think I can get get a lot closer than I was today.  BTW - my weight on Christmas night was 185.5 and this morning and Saturday morning it was back to 169.  LOTS of iced tea, fruits, lean meats, no potatoes, bread, etc.

As I caught my breath and started to walk down the steps I noticed that the far gate was open so I could get down on the football field.  I love their field because it is artificial (no mud), padded and marked by yards.  I ran my first 100 easy at about 25% and immediately had my concerns confirmed.  I seemed to lack a little bit of open stride length as I have only vaulted from 33'.  I ran 8 X 100 and these and they felt increasingly better as I went.  I feel this will help me a lot in a hurry because it has always worked in the past.  The bottom line is that I need to condition my legs to run fast and that also happens pretty quick for me.

Nice conversation here but I also need to maintain my power on the runway.  Because of that tomorrow I will go back to the track and ONLY run bleachers.  I like the way they make me fully extend each step and feel that will also help my groin. 

Now that we have that cleared up, on Tuesday I leave town until Thursday afternoon for business.  I will take my shoes and get some easy strides in as well as hit some big time consistent and extensive stretching in.

Here is my new gym set up.  You can click to enlarge.  I need a Smith Machine to control the path of my squats, bench and incline as the total free weights irritate my shoulder and back.  This is the one that fits my garage whereas the bigger one did not.  I got this one from Sports Authority for $299 - 15% because it was the floor model.  It came with the bench.  AMAZING deal!!  I bought the basic 305 pound Olympic weight set to get the plates and the bar for cleans.  After a week or so of using this and the gym I will have a final program.  More on that and other topics next time.  Have a great evening and thanks for being here!  Bubba

Deep Purple's, "Highway Star" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgZSnAkQc4c

No comments:

Post a Comment