Wednesday, January 11, 2012

When Below Average is Good Enough

The great athlete Bo Jackson once spoke to a group of elderly people in Alabama and told them that he was no different than them in that their perceived level of exertion puts their body in the same state of trauma.  Yes he may be able to get there sooner and stay there longer but all ages know what this feels like. His message was that some days 100% effort will only produce 70% or your normal or expected results.  Some days are easier than others.

Today I felt like total dog crap but I was able to jump.  I was so afraid I was done for Reno because of this groin issue but as I got going it was totally nonexistent.  In all I took 16 take offs with 7 at a bar.  I couldn't get on the regular poles I have been able to but I have been training harder.  Dead legs will make that happen.  I was smart enough to stop with some decent jumps under my belt.  I knew to hit my "norm" would require me to try and run harder and that's just not smart.  Besides, I'm THRILLED I could jump at all. 

NOTE - I jumped with Dan Cassidy today and he too had a short day because he is recovering from a light calf strain.  DAN, has some real potential because he loves the sport, he is a good student, but mainly because he stops when he FEELS something instead of when he INJURES something.  HUGE difference.  He chooses to stop rather than being forced to.  Hat's off to Dan. 

SO, what next.  I beat the HELL out of myself of course.  This means I will feel bad again when I jump Saturday but I will have a long break and should feel great by Reno.  The things we trick our bodies into letting them to do.  Have a great day and thanks for being here.  Bubba

Megadeth - Peace Sells - A favorite grind away song - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oa_Cz7_bPuI&feature=fvwrel

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the kind words Bubba! I felt bad about having to cut it so short again. I feel like I did the right thing too. It is doing better than I thought it would and plan on doing a lot of walking up hill to get this dang calf ready! Thanks for teaching me a few new things today! Dan

    ReplyDelete