Friday, January 29, 2010

Gotta Be Careful!!

I had a very clean warm up with three attempts with hip height over a 13' 6" (4.12m) bungee. On jump two I started feeling my biceps strain and on jump three I felt it even more so I made the decision to stop rather than risk an injury that could knock me out of World Indoors on March 5. If anything I set myself back maybe 10%. I couldn't afford to make it worse.

Probably both the toughest yet easiest decision I have ever made. It was tough because I was jumping really well. It was easy because Kamloops is five weeks from today. It took me four weeks to make this much progress so an injury would put me back at square one. So I quietly went and sat down by Nancy and thought it out. When I saw the official come out with the list I went out and withdrew.

The other Americans did not jump as well as they came with one making 12' 1 1/2" (3.70m) and two others clearing no height - nh, missing at 3.85m (12' 7 1/2"). Wolfgang Ritte on the other hand cleared 14' 1 1/4" (4.30m) and had a couple of nice jumps at what have been a new WR of 14' 7 1/4" (4.45m). I really enjoyed meeting him. Before we started I told him that we really hoped he got a WR here and that one of us got an American Record. He came close to pulling his weight and we did not.

When we met Wolfie at the opening he opened his arms real big and said "Bubba, I'm so happy to get to meet you". He was a very nice breath of fresh air. All vaulters are nice and supportive but he had a room full of friends in no time flat. He's the kind of guy you want to cheer for and we certainly did.

Looking forward I think I have made the decision to skip Albuquerque and the Masters Exhibition at the USATF Elites meet. I've been worried all along about jumping at that high level within five days anyway. The reality is that if I got a ding like I did today when I'm at Albuquerque then I would be done for Kamloops. Even if I got a slight irritation I run the risk of it going out during the world championships and that makes it a risk I can't take.

OK, in four weeks I went from not being able to pull up my gym shorts with my right hand to being able to vault on a big pole. Because of my running and lifting my timing was on and I lost nothing by not being able to jump. With a full five weeks more to recover and maybe a 10% setback at worse, I should be 100% at Kamloops without the stress of the Russian Roulette that is Albuquerque. If I continue my running and conditioning, and vault each Friday at a low level progressing to a higher level but within my tolerance, I should be right where I need to be.

Just because the guys didn't jump great tonight doesn't mean that they won't be on fire at Kamloops because they will. They had plenty of height but they just couldn't leave the bar up. I've had days like that too. They will be at their best and I need to be also. So that's the game plan. Have a great night and thanks so much for the support. Bubba

No comments:

Post a Comment