Monday, January 18, 2010

Thinking About Reno

A week from Thursday we leave for the 20th USA Track & Field Pole Vault Summit, since named the National Pole Vault Summit. I went to #s 2-14 and then skipped until 2008 so I'm looking forward to going back. There will be over 2,000 vaulters from around the world, at all levels, competing on 14 or so pits on the floor of the Reno Livestock Center. Here is the link - http://www.ucsspirit.com/about/pole-vault.cfm

I've always told my kids that if you aren't ready to PR at Reno then you are behind in your training and the same goes for me. I've had three meets and three PRs thus far but I'm going into Reno with the idea that I need to step it up another notch in preparation for the World Indoor Championships on March 5, in Kamloops, BC, Canada. Here is that link - http://www.kamloops2010masters.com/

I don't know what time I jump at either place but the bottom line is to be ready for my checkpoints. All of the big guys will be in Reno so I want to be ready. That said, the REAL meet is on March 5th. So the plan is to get ready for Reno and then get a month of quality training in between Reno and Kamloops. During that month I will run and lift my butt off and drop down the level of my vaulting practices. This should bring me in fast, strong and healthy with a little better technique. It worked for Sydney.

The big difference is my run up to Sydney started with an injury and hopefully I will come out of Reno healthy. I had better because I won't have enough time to rehab if not. Another BIG difference so far is that I'm already consistently on bigger poles than I was at Sydney and I have also run from further runs.

Coming off of the biceps strain doesn't concern me so much. I'll also have two new poles to add to my order so I need to get to them in Reno if possible. We're close enough to start planning anyway so that makes it exciting. Nancy is going and she has never seen the Reno extravaganza nor met many of my friends so that too will be fun.

That's it for now. Have a great day! Bubba

No comments:

Post a Comment