Saturday, January 23, 2010

Winding Down

I had my last hard gym lift and bars this morning and will have my last hard garage lift and bars tomorrow. I have four different bar exercises that I do - two on the gym day and two on the home day. THEN, it's hurry up and wait. Basically after I run on Monday it's jog/stretch/stride for a few days until Friday night. Fortunately I have tons of business stuff to do and I travel on Wednesdays before getting on the plane this Thursday.

My body feels good but I'm more focused on being technically correct on Friday. I wasn't thrilled with yesterday's jumps but it's really hard if you're holding back on your run and worried about your bicep. Nothing hurt so I know I will be able to let loose and be business as usual Friday night. Still, focusing on technical aspects takes the pressure off of worrying about poles, runs and heights.

Reno usually has 30ish vaulters per runway and goes up in 8" (20 cm) increments instead of 6" (15 cm) at other meets and 4" (10 cm) at Worlds. I'm sure they are aware that we need to go through a height that allows us to try the American record and also a height that M60 star, John Altendorf can get a new World Record. It is what is is and they always do a good job so I won't sweat it.

Took my poles back to the track today. I took almost every big pole to Kris' yesterday to either measure, flex , trade, jump or ship. I sent one bag and brought back two bags of poles. Over the years since 2005 I have probably accumulated 22-24 poles (all Essx) that I either practice or compete on from small 13' 1" (4m) to large 14' 7"s (4.45m). The only size I no longer have are 13' 7"s (4.15m) as I traded those in to get 14' 1"s (4.30m) because they pick me up better at take off. I can tell that I will have a massive re-taping job before New Mexico and Worlds because I will have four new 14' 7"s in my series. As mentioned before I color code the poles with tape so I don't have to read the little numbers they are marked with.

That's it for today. Hope you have a great Saturday! Bubba

No comments:

Post a Comment