Thursday, January 7, 2010

What's the Use?

Sometimes that's how I feel when I look at my effort vs. minuscule progress while constantly watching and managing dings and injuries. I'm looking in the mirror today while doing lateral flys to protect my shoulders, and I look pretty big, like a weightlifter. That said my vaulting weight is about 168-170 or about 3-4 pounds lighter than last year.

Your mind tells you that enough may be enough but you can't let that mentality spread to other areas of your training. Besides, what do I have to lose by being in better shape? Like Gary Hunter's college professor used to say, "whatever you want to do in sport will be easier if you're stronger", and Gary makes me look little. BTW - in almost every picture of vaulters I'm the smallest at 5' 11" and 170.

Am I embarrassed that I don't take an off season and regularly lift and do bars four days a week? If I crank and crank and crank will I really jump higher? Would this time be better spent in other area like running or would that create a new set of training balance issues or overuse injuries?

I think the answer is that I just have to stick true to what has worked. I'm jumping well, getting injured less, and feeling overall more healthy. I think what sticks in my mind is the amount of measurable return for effort is so far out at this level. I could lift 100 sessions to maybe safely move up 10 pounds in my lifting maxes. So what's the use?

In short, I'd rather have this habit than one that makes it harder to re-engage in workouts like after Sydney. I need to be happy and embrace this focus as a "good" thing. Thanks for listening. This is exactly why I blog. I'm throwing it out there and hoping that the voice of reason shouts, or even whispers, back to me.

TOUGH field at Worlds for the Americans but I LOVE those guys and think we should make a good showing. I couldn't think of a better US group I'd want to go to a big meet with. Sorry my buddy Jeff Kingstad can't make it but I will see him at Reno and USATF Elite Nationals.

Have a fun day! Bubba

No comments:

Post a Comment