Sunday, January 24, 2010

Sprint to the Finish

I looked at my work schedule tomorrow and it will be impossible to get a workout in. I travel on Wednesdays and I'll be in Reno for the rest of the week as we leave early Thursday morning. It was a bit of a risk since I jumped Friday and lifted legs yesterday but I did tomorrow's running workout today before I lifted in my garage. Doing a "double" wasn't in my plans when I woke up this morning but I can't afford to miss it. Surprisingly I felt pretty good but I didn't push the pace too much even though the running was 3X30 + 30, 40, 40 + 30, 20, 20. I got a nice long stretch in afterwards between my lifts. Happy to say that all of my lifts are back up to my regular maxes from before me bicep strain as I lift without caution.

All of this means I'm ready for Reno. The only thing that matters now is to execute my technical goals like I did in Belton, but even better. If I do those things right I will be on poles big enough to do some damage without a big risk to my legs, caused by trying to run too hard. Though the competition will be huge I don't really think of it that way. I just have to take care of me and then it is what it is. All of us guys are good friends so there is no real edge to winning as one of us will win the next time if not this time. The meet that matters is Kamloops but this is a great dress rehearsal for the pole/run strategy.

I'm still a little concerned and not quite sure how I will handle Albuquerque. I'm thrilled to be competing in this historic event but it IS only five days before Worlds. I'm thinking of making it a brief but high level practice by staying at 54' and not pressing poles but rather trying to get super clean technique. It's a funny dynamic because my biggest fear is that I will feel flat in Kamloops but reality is that I train my ASS off (vault, run, bars, lift) with NO rest and jump three or four days later in practice all of the time with no issues. My gut tells me it will go well but that doesn't keep me from being cautious.

Time to start watching my weight. I vault and train 3-4 pounds heavier so I feel quicker and the pole picks me up better at meets. I'll be right at 170 for the meet and I was 176 after breakfast today. I was 173 when I jumped Friday. Pretty easy for me to control as I drink a ton of fluids.

I'm excited for the meet but it still feels a long way away. On top of that this will be a long week since all of my real training is done with only strides and stretching left. Jumping at 7 PM at night REALLY drags out the day too but the crowd, the noise and the music get you pumped up as well. Looking forward to seeing all of the guys as that's always the best.

Thanks for being here and keeping me sane. It's about to be a very long 6-7 weeks as we go Reno, Albuquerque, Kamloops and Boston during that time frame. Gotta get fresh mentally and physically while keeping the technique sharp. Should be fun! Bubba

No comments:

Post a Comment