Friday, January 29, 2010

Live From Reno

Where to start? I swapped my Palm Pre with Nancy and got my Blackberry back so that kept me from having to get my computer set up as quickly as I normally do. Hence no post yesterday. The Pre is OK but it's harder to type longer emails. Now I'm back online with my computer I can post.

The flights were easy as we went through Denver. Pat Manson was on my flight so we talked for awhile before we boarded. Pat still holds the high school indoor record of 17' 6 1/2" (5.35m) set in 1986. More importantly, at 42 years old, he made 17' 7" last week and hopes that tonight he will be able to accomplish his 23rd consecutive year over 18' (5.50m). That is just beyond amazing.

Got checked into the hotel and the event in the afternoon an had a good early dinner. It was the calm before the storm as last night when I went down to find a diet drink for my room the zoo had begun. Of the friends I saw and spoke to were Billy Olson (11 time world record holder - 19' 5 1/2" - 5.94m), Doug Fraley (19' 1/4" -5.80m), Greg Duplantis (19' 2 1/2" - 5.85m) and his son Mondo (9 years old WR of 11' - 3.35m), Tim Bright (19' 2 1/2" - 5.85m), Brad Pursley (18' 10 1/2" - 5.75m), etc.

This morning Becca from www.polevaultpower.com was hosting tonight's elite field in her room for those who had donated to their expenses. All guys between 18' 6" and 19' 2" and the girls were 14' 5" to 15' 4". I got to take our freshman, Max up with me to meet them and get his shirt autographed. Very cool.

This morning at the opening ceremony there were 2,000+ vaulters, coaches and family members in the room as all of the important people were introduced. They have now broken out into sessions for the day so I have come up to the room to start getting ready for tonight.

I found out yesterday that the Masters are going to compete at 5:30 and the elites will go at 7:30. I met Wolfgang (Wolfie) Ritte from Germany this morning. He is the world record holder in my division. Very nice and welcoming guy. He congratulated me for my win in Sydney and I did the same for him for his win in Finland. Those were the two BIG meets of last year. I chose Sydney because the weather would be better and some other top level people who had been to Finland said that the conditions would be better in Australia. Obviously Germany is closer to Finland so that was an easy decision for Wolfie.

Also saw my buddy Kirk Bentz, who just entered my group this summer. You may remember that he came out to LAX and hung out with me for a couple of hours as I awaited my flight to Sydney. John Altendorf from Oregon arrived last night too so we hung out a bit. John is he only 60 year old in history to clear 13' (3.97m).

SO, the gang's all here at all ages and all levels. Time to start thinking about jumping. More later. Bubba

PS - Saw Kris this morning and he said he took my poles over from the airport last night.

No comments:

Post a Comment