Friday, February 26, 2010

Been Here Before

I felt a lot better today after blowing out the cobwebs from yesterday. My biggest issue is that I have neglected about half of my stretching because I do it between lifts - the ones I'm not currently doing. Basically I'm lifting as hard as I can without directly involving my biceps. No bars, vaulting, lat pulls, cleans, etc. I can do machine curls at a light weight with no pain so all is not lost.

Everything is starting to feel like it's getting well. This is the best I have felt by far at the end of week one of this process. This is my 3rd time on week one so I will leave well enough alone and enjoy the progress.

Yesterday part of my issue was a little foot pain or discomfort. Considering I haven't sprinted HARD in 14 weeks and I had a very long running day with the sprints at 90%+ with a sled, what did I expect? Today everything feels so much better.

My late friend and orthopedic surgeon, Glenn Almquist, used to call my situation "sunburn". He reminded me that if I haven't been in the sun for awhile, and I spend extended time in the sun, that I will get burned. How you handle that "sunburn" is the same as you should handle the irritations that follow a change or upgrade in program. So if I go right back out and hammer my running then my "sunburn" will get worse. Therefore you stay out of the sun for a few days and then slowly introduce the sun again until your body can be accustomed. A simplified explanation but easy to relate too.

At this point the goal is to complete my scheduled lifting and get ready to head out of town for a full nine days of rest. I will come back and hit my regular training for a week and then see if I think I can jump in Boston, four weeks from tomorrow. Again, I feel pretty optimistic. RIGHT NOW is when I usually blow it on my rehab by stepping things up. I've steered away from anything damaging so far and now I'm leaving town. Sometimes it helps to disarm the idiot.

Have a great day and thanks for being here. Bubba

No comments:

Post a Comment